"They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor." Isaiah 61:3
Mason's Ridge is Highlands County Habitat for Humanity's affordable housing development that will provide 60 affordable, safe, and decent single family homes (3 and 4 bedroom) to the very low-, low- and moderate-income families of Highlands County in accordance with the Area Median Income (AMI) guidelines developed by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. This project will be located in the Washington Heights community.
The overall development is a mixed-use and mixed-income on a 19.53 acre vacant parcel donated by Highlands County Board of Commissioners. We will produce 60 new and green single family homes on 18.22 acres that are 1,000 to 1,500 square feet, under air, with garages; a community center and park with additional small pocket parks convenient to the walking and bike trails that surround the community; and a retail component on 1.31 acres that will provide some of the goods and services necessary to support the families such as day care, restaurants, grocery and banking services.
- The homes will meet the following generally accepted criteria for the development of workforce/affordable housing:
- Within walking distance of services, jobs and schools;
- Provide low operating (low mortgages and utility bills);
- Energy Star and Florida Green Build Certified;
- Low maintenance
- Attractive, well designed and constructed homes that engender pride in their homes and community A Homeowners' Association will be created and managed by the residents to ensure environmental, safety and other community standards are developed and maintained. These new affordable homes will be offered to qualified families at an average cost of $75,000.
Mason’s Ridge is named in honor of Mason G. Smoak who served on the Board of Directors for Highlands County Habitat from 2006 until his passing. Please view the Mason G. Smoak Foundation website by visiting www.masongsmoakfoundation.org
Thank you to our Mason's Ridge Home Sponsors:
Alan Jay Chevrolet
Alan Jay Ford Lincoln Mercury
Alan Jay Nissan
Alan Jay Toyota
Cross Country Automotive Services
Don & Dot Bates·and Grandchildren
Edward & Ann Smoak in honor of Mason G. Smoak and the Mason G. Smoak Foundation
Edward & Ann Smoak in memory of Frank L. Williams
Florida Hospital Heartland Division
Memorial United Methodist Church
St. John's United Methodist Church -·2 homes
Tracee Smoak & Children in honor of Mason G. Smoak and the Mason G. Smoak Foundation
Unity of Sebring
To learn more about home sponsorship at Mason's Ridge, contact Sarah Pallone at 385-7156.